||General Accounting Assistant
|Position Reports To:
||Director of Finance
|Number of incumbents:
|Hours of Work:
||half-time based on 35 hours per week
The General Accounting Assistant is responsible for providing scheduled
support to the Director of Finance in accordance with agency policies and
procedures. Maintaining accurate and up-to-date accounts payable and receivable
sub-ledgers and monthly account reconciliations utilizing industry specific
computer software are key components of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process vendor and supplier invoices, in a timely manner, verifying
accuracy, approvals and account coding in accordance with Ministry and
- Prepares cheques and associated reports, as required in accordance with
- Prepare and maintain pre-authorize payments monthly or as required.
- Prepare all Accounts Payable sub-ledger journals for posting to General
- Reconcile Accounts Payable sub-ledger to General Ledger monthly.
- Enter and reconcile cheques cashed to accounting software monthly.
- Respond to vendor inquiries as required.
- Process all client or miscellaneous payments daily or as required to
- Maintain and distribute accurate listing of overdue accounts and
suspensions in accordance with agency policies.
- Refer overdue accounts to Director of Finance for adjustments, write-
off or collections.
- Prepare accounting adjustment forms where required.
- Respond to client or payer account inquiries as required.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the payroll processes and software and
provide backup as required.
- Assist the Director of Finance with monthly general ledger
reconciliations as required.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for approval of the Director of
- Assist with annual budget preparation as required.
General Office Support:
- Assist with telephone coverage during the lunch break and staff
- Assist Director of Finance with record retention requirements.
|This job description indicates the general nature and level of work
expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required by the
incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer accounting software systems;
- Experienced in processing accounts payable/receivable, sub-ledger and
general ledger entries and reconciliations;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Two-year college diploma in accounting or completion of one-year
university towards CA, CGA;
- Two to three years practical accounting experience;